Dads are always giving everything of themselves away to their families. They have so many responsibilities that maybe they do not take time for themselves. Self-care is important for dads too, that’s, why I sat down and listed out 10 ways dads should take time for themselves. Growing up I remember my dad was always working either outside of the home or at home with various remodeling jobs, yard work, car repairs, helping to take care of us kids, some cleaning and the list goes on and on. It was rare for my dad to take time for his own self-care, but when he did he would go golfing. These days it is important to take care of yourself so you do not get bogged down with the day to day grind.
10 Ways Dads Should Take Time For Themselves
1. Play a sport – Maybe this will not apply to every dad, but getting active is the key to caring for yourself and your family. You do not have to be good at playing sports to at least give it a try. My dad loved to go golfing, so once a month or so he would leave early on a Saturday morning with some buddies or even us boys as we got older and play until lunchtime. He always came home in a good mood to help around the house or just hang out as a family. It can be any sport think basketball, softball, football, snow skiing and many more to choose from the key is being active.
2. Read a book – I know this might sound pretty redundant, but anytime you do something that requires only you, then you are on the right track. This book can be anything to your favorite author, maybe the #1 book on the New York Times Best Sellers List, a leadership book (John Maxwell 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership is one of my favorites), or the latest books on any topic you love. For me many times it’s cracking open the number one selling book of all time, the Bible, It does not matter what you are reading as long as it is not considered work. As a side note: if you do go the comic book route, your kids might want to listen too!
3. Build something – Continuing on with 10 ways dads should take time for themselves we come to building something. Do you like working with your hands? My dad was handy and was always doing a remodel job, but every so often he would build something he wanted. You can try building anything maybe a new wood pumpkin for the porch, some new shelves in his workshop, or he would build a little toolbox for the kids. He always loved making things for us when we were little. So even though he was making something for someone else, he was still doing something for himself too.
4. Fishing – There are so many reasons why I love fishing and why it is my go-to for taking time for myself. I like to watch the water, the birds fly in the sky, and the little critters scurry around on the ground. It gives me time to reflect as a parent and find ways I can be a better father, husband, and friend. Also when I hook a huge fish, that is a plus to fishing too!
5. Exercising – This will look a little different to everyone based on your level of experience. Being able to exercise will not only help you do something for yourself, but it will also help you to become physically stronger. Working out could be anything from using weights, swimming in a pool, taking a walk, or doing a workout video. Anything you can think of that will help get your heart rate up and build endurance. I like to use a treadmill go for a walk when the weather doesn’t cooperate to walk around the neighborhood. If need ideas check out our top 10 fitness books for men. Even just 30 minutes can make a world of difference.
6. Going on a bike ride – Next up in 10 ways dads should take time for themselves we come to some good old fashioned bike riding. Some days when life is hectic I like to come home and jump on my bicycle and just ride for a while. It helps me to clear my mind or let my mind just wander and think about anything but work. Next time you want to take a break, take your bike out for a spin.
7. Go to the movies – When was the last time you went to the movies alone? Maybe it was before you were married and had kids? If so, then check out your local theater today and find something to watch! There is a plethora of new movies that I am sure you will find the right one. Since you are taking some time for yourself then go ahead and splurge on a large popcorn with butter, a soda fountain drink, and your favorite candy.
8. Get a Massage – Lay back and let the stress of the week leave your body as you relax with a massage. As parents, our bodies can build up a lot of tension. So this is a great way for you to not only take some time for yourself but to help with the build up tension from all the stresses life throws at us. So call around and find a local place that you can go and get a massage! That is why a massage made it to our list of ways dads should care for themselves.
9. Gameday with the boys – Do you like to play card games, board games, or maybe even video games? I know you are not technically alone, but spending time doing something you want is still taking that time for yourself. My dad used to have some friends over to play card games when we were little. So call some friends for a fun guys night in with your favorite game.
10. Take a class – Have you ever wanted to learn something new? Maybe you have been wanting to take a cooking class to be able to make something special for your wife or family. Or you can take a pottery class or a painting class! Even if you are not creative, there are tons of other classes you can take too like a graphic design class. Really it all comes down to preference and what would make you happy.
A Bonus tip, that I love to do when the wife is out with the kids is to just do nothing. Sometimes it is good to just sit and think about nothing. Put on some calming music and just rest. Hopefully, this list of 10 ways dads should take time for themselves gave you some great options to at least get started. Maybe you are already doing these but not often enough. If taking time for yourself is foreign to you then try to shoot for once every three months. Or if you need to take time for yourself once a month! I am sure your wife and children will appreciate you setting a great example of self-care. Let us know what you tried or if you have other suggestions for our readers, we would love to hear from you!
You might like these posts from Dad Life Lessons: